Hello from Moscow!
I believe that this will be my last post before I leave Russia. I am amazed that my 4.5 months in Russia has almost come to an end. Two weeks from today I will be heading home to America. Although I am excited to see my wonderful family and great friends, I have to admit that I will miss so many things about my experience here. In retrospect, this has been the greatest and most life changing experience I have ever had. Truly my eyes have been opened, my perspective has been broadened, my love has been expanded, and my world has been enlarged. Five years ago I never would have dreamed that I would be here in Moscow, Russia doing what I have been doing. But, it is amazing how the Lord guides and leads us along and prepares us to learn and grow as we walk each step of this mortal journey.
As I have had some time to reflect recently on some of the things I have learned while here, I thought I would take a moment to share my thoughts with you.
1. I have learned to love these people. When I am with my students my heart is filled with an overwhelming love for them. I have gotten tears in my eyes a few times as I have thought about having to say goodbye. How does one say goodbye to a precious child they know they will never see again...at least in this life? That is the question I keep considering.
2. I have learned that one must never compare life here to life in America. Yes, Russia is a wonderful place to live, but it is definitely not America. So, to waste time complaining and comparing just makes life miserable. I have seen this first hand in a very real way with a couple of my roommates. (I will expand at a later time).
3. The Church of Jesus Christ is the same everywhere you go, and it truly is Christ's church. I will never forget the feeling I had when I walked into the church for the first time after we arrived in Moscow. It was freezing cold and snowy outside, but when I walked in I knew that I had come home. That "coming home" feeling has stayed with me every time I have gone to church or been amongst the members. It is a miracle to see the members of the church in action here. They are some of the strongest and most faithful members I have ever seen. Hearing of their conversion stories has been remarkable and has strengthened my own testimony.
4. Taking pleasure in the small things is so important to staying emotionally healthy. I have kept a gratitude journal since I have been here, and I know that I have stayed healthy in mind and spirit through this daily routine. It is amazing how life seems so much better when you take time to recognize and acknowledge how truly blessed you are.
5. Family is absolutely the best! Support from my family while I have been here has been so amazing! There have been numerous occasions when I have received an email from a family member just when I needed a little boost. And, I should also mention how grateful I am to my friends who have faithfully written. That extra support and love has given me strength.
6. There are a few traditions/lessons from Russians that I hope to carry home with me: First, "guliyating" or walking with your family every night. Everyone goes out for strolls in the evening, and it is such a wonderful time for them to converse and unwind from the day. Second, the amazing cuisine. Unfortunately, it is sooo good that I have gained a few extra pounds. But, I do hope to use the Russian cooking skills I have gained here while losing those few pounds once i get home. :) Third, most Russians are generally quite laid back. It doesn't seem like they are ever in a hurry. When the bus doesn't come on time, or when people are stuck in traffic, they just accept it and move on with their day. I haven't ever heard anyone complain about these minor inconveniences. They just deal with it. Fourth, Russians are very considerate to the elderly. An older man or woman will never stand on the metro or bus, because a younger person will always give his/her seat to the older individual.
7. Aside from all the wonderful things I have seen, the places I have visited, the people I have met, and the experiences I have had, I feel like this opportunity has given me time to heal. That may sound a little funny...but it's true. As many of you already know, I spent a year at USU that just about did me in emotionally. And although WSU has been a much better fit for me, I desperately needed a reprieve from the demanding schedule I was tied to. These 4.5 months have given me time to think, time to meditate, time to relax, time to read, time to watch movies, time to be away from the piano (can you believe I just said that?), time to write in my journal, and in short, time to heal. I feel like I am finally ready to come home and face the demands again with a new and fresh perspective on life and on what is most important.
I look so forward to seeing my family and friends in 2 weeks! Thank you for all of the love and support!!
Yours Truly....Emily
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Emily,
My mom sent me this link to your blog- I'm glad I got to read your experiences. Oh the power of getting outside of your "know". I am so glad and thrilled that you took the Moscow adventure. You did it. You made it happen- and isn't it worth gold! There's more out there! Hope to see you at Christmas. St Basil is fantastic.
-Lynley Hogan
Post a Comment