Sunday, January 27, 2008

Well...what an adventure this has been! We went to the Kremlin on Saturday, and I fell in love! It is absolutely beautiful and so rich with History. Also, on Saturday we met this really neat woman named Zena. She walked by us and asked if she could speak English with us. It was so fun! She was so sweet and shared her great love of America. She's visited there a few times, and says she thinks she was an American in her first life. Haha! Truly America is a great land of liberty. We are so blessed.
At first I found it very frustrating not being able to communicate with these people, but now I'm just motivated to learn as much as the language as possible so I can get by okay. I think I'm finally starting to understand how to use the metro. There are 23 lines and all the stops are written in Russian, so it can be a bit confusing, but I think I'm starting to understand, which is a good thing! We attended church yesterday, and it was like going home! The people were so friendly and kind, and we understood every word, since we attended an English speaking branch! :) Our branch president is a very good man and I know he will take good care of us. They put me right to work in RS playing the piano (which I had expected) and I was so grateful to touch the ivories again. Going to church is quite an adventure...we left at 11:30 am and didn't get back home until 6:00 pm. Haha! Definitely an all day affair. But it was so great! It is funny to see people stare at us American girls. We try not to talk too much in English, and try to avoid making a big scene...because people start to stare! I can't wait to show you the videos I've been taking. My girls tease me because I try to record everything...and it seems I sometimes get left in the dust...until they realize I'm just recording something of interest. :) Anyway, life is good in the great land of Russia!

3 comments:

mckarlie said...

I'm so glad that you're having a good time, Em's!
I think it's neat how you said that going to church was like going home! It's so true that the church is the same wherever you go!

robinderrieden said...

Haha!
I love it! How amazing. I can't wait to see the videos.
Sounds like it is every bit of the adventure you thought it would be.
And your church experience sounds familiar. Except you're atleast riding cool metros and interacting with people... I'm hunched over a desk counting money.
Haha!
Love you.
Be safe.

McKenzie said...

Sounds great Em! Tell us about the girls you are living with! It looks like you are all having a great time together! Love ya and I am so excited to see live footage!
love ya!